The MIT SENSEable City Lab (SCL ) is looking for exceptional candidates to fill a postdoctoral research position. The position will be based at the Lab’s base in Singapore at the Singapore-MIT Alliance of Research and Technology (SMART ).
Over the past several years, the SENSEable City Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has carried out extensive research into the use of real-time data generated by urban networks and systems. The digital revolution has layered a vast system of cameras, communication devices, microcontrollers and sensors over our environment, enabling entirely new ways to imagine, monitor, and understand our cities. These systems have a value that goes beyond their original purpose: the digital exhaust of cellular networks reveals social and economic patterns, tracking systems highlight global material flows, and digitally managed transportation fleets address a city’s mobility. Now that digital devices are embedded in our cities and communicate data, we seek to design the urban operating system to facilitate the transaction of such data. In the research initiative carried out in Singapore, the SENSEable City Laboratory has access to real-world data for this experimentation.
• Perform basic and applied research, using and extending existing methods and tools.
• Actively contribute in the design and initiation of new research projects in the field of complex urban systems.
• Integrate specific research findings with the work of all project partners (e.g., Santa Fe Institute, Cornell University, MIT CSAIL ).
• Present research results at international workshops and conferences.
• Co-author articles for publication in leading peer-reviewed journals.
The successful candidates must hold a Ph.D. in physics, mathematics, computer science, engineering, computational sociology (social network analysis), or a related field. Candidates with an interdisciplinary mathematical modeling background are also given particular attention. Experience in handling large-scale data sets as well as complex systems modeling and analysis is a plus. Candidates must present a strong publication record.
The positions are available immediately. We invite interested applicants to submit the following material firstname.lastname@example.org :
• CV and contact information of three referees.
• A one-page